Every household, workplace and public building should have a first aid kit.
Why have a first aid kit?
It is important to have a first aid kit on hand as you never know when an accident may occur. Minor accidents happen every day and a first aid kit will help to treat people quickly and effectively.
What should be in a first aid kit?
A first aid kit should contain a number of different things: these should include:
- At least 5 medium dressings; these may be used to treat cuts for example.
- At least 2 large dressings; these can be used to treat larger cuts or dressing wounds.
- At least 2 extra large dressings: these can be used to dress serious wounds.
- Sterile wipes (alcohol free): these can be used to clean infected areas or open wounds.
- Sterile gloves: these can be used when treating others to prevent cross infection. Gloves should be thrown away after use and replaced with a new pair.
- Safety pins: these can be used to fix bandages.
- Plasters: these can be used to cover affected areas to prevent bacterial infection and stem bleeding.
- Blue plasters: used for covering injuries during food preparation.
- Triangular bandages: these can be used to treat larger wounds or as a sling to support the arm.
- A resuscitation face mask: this can be used to prevent the spread of infection when administering CPR on a casualty who has a bleeding mouth.
- Scissors: these are used to cut plasters or bandages.
- Tweezers: these are often used to remove small foreign bodies such as splinters.
- Thermometer: this is used to check and monitor a person’s temperature.
- Sterile pads: these are used to cover wounds.
- Crepe bandages: these are used to support damaged limbs or joints.
- Adhesive tape: these are used to fix bandages and dressings.
It may also be advisable to carry over the counter pain relief. It is important to keep your first aid kit well-stocked and to replace any items which may have been used. If you live or work with somebody who has a severe allergy or a condition such as asthma it may be beneficial to carry a dose of their medication in your first aid kit to use in the case of an emergency.